Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Running to democracy

My running has been easier over the last few weeks. I’m knocking down the miles to rest my legs ahead of the race. But my runs are less inspiring.

I’m growing both excited by the prospect of running in the New York marathon and anxious. It is my first race, so I guess the feeling of doubt is a part of it. Am I ready; did I train enough? My last 20Mile run was less than convincing. This weekend I did 12Miles in Bodrum. I was reckless in my time selection, hitting the road at 2pm with the sun directly above me. What was I thinking? I was drenched in sweat in the first 30 minutes. After that, it was pure psychology to keep my legs and body moving. Narcissism? Maybe manic is a better way to describe my approach to running. On top of it, I caught a cold last weekend and am now nursing a slight fever. I went running yesterday. Bad idea, I feel worse today. I should have rested.

Off of the marathon track, Azerbaijan had its presidential election last week. The incumbent, President Ilham Aliyev, was reelected with 90 percent support. I remember the first presidential election there, and the last parliamentary one. This one was better. But the OSCE/ODIHR and now the EU Presidency argued the election did not meet all the international standards.

Well, it’s like running a marathon. We’re all in it for the long run. Azerbaijan, EU and the OSCE. Democracy like long-distance running is about the process, the training and the institutional stamina.

1 comment:

will chancellor said...

It's more likely that you decide to take two laps of the marathon course than not finish. Ready? Pfffff...piece of pish!

Blog Archive

Search blog