Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Crashing

It seems everything is crashing. I arrived in New York last week, partly to be back home and partly for the UN General Assembly. I'm usually excited upon arrival, except this time the City feels less alive than usual, with less electricity in the air to make your hair stand up. The news from the financial markets is killing the mood, I suppose, for everyone. I don't know what to think. But I know I feel anxiety. Was this inevitable, just another bubble bursting, is the bail-out package even relevant in the grand scheme of things? Even the weather has been worse the usual, raining most of the time. New York almost feels like Brussels.

I could not care. But with bank after bank folding or being acquired, I can't help but think that nobody and nothing is safe anymore. The stock market is too risky, commodities seem unstable and their value will probably drop as the global economy contracts. Buy gold? I don't know, it seems overvalued. Then there's the whole currency issue. Should I keep liquidity in Dollars or Euros; in both or in Pounds?

But what scares me even more than the market, is the possibility that Sara Palin could be a heartbeat away from the White House. I like the idea that in America everything is possible and anyone can become someone if they just work hard enough. But some things are outright outrageous and wrong, and her nomination for VP is wrong and outrageous, careless and dangerous. She is not ready to be the Vice President of the most powerful country, let alone President. After all, and as we are now seeing, when America falls sick so do the rest of us. I never thought I would see the day when I may wish for President Bush to return to the While House, but with Palin possibly coming in, I'm feeling Bush shouldn't leave at all.

No wonder running has been less than fun this week. My head is cluttered with random worries. But I'll keep running and hopefully clear the jumble and find some answers.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Search blog